Thursday, December 1, 2016

Sausage Party

Image Source
Sausage Party is an animated comedy written and directed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. The food items in a grocery store have lived their entire lives believing that when humans (food views the humans as gods) pick them up and put them in their cart, said food items are chosen for “The Great Beyond.” They view this as a paradise.  When a group of sausages and buns are chosen, a problem arises where a sausage named Frank (voiced by Seth Rogen) and a bun named Brenda (Kristen Wiig) are stranded in the store. First, let me say, I liked this movie quite a bit. Did I laugh at this movie as much as I wanted to? No, I didn’t. The voice cast is great. This includes Seth Rogen, Kristen Wiig, James Franco, Bill Hader, Michael Cera, Jonah Hill, Salma Hayek, and Edward Norton. The comedy in the movie was very much in line with my sense of humor. It was twisted and wrong. One of the things in this movie I was not expecting to see was the social commentary regarding religion. I also have to admire that Rogen and Goldberg were actually willing (and successful) to go for a hard R rating, something rarely happens with mainstream animated movies. I have to say the movie’s main antagonist was a bit hit-and-miss for me. On one hand, I did find him incredibly entertaining. On the other hand, I’m not sure how necessary he was to plot when the humans worked just fine for me, especially when the grocery store’s day manager was already kind of set up at the beginning. Without spoiling anything, the end of the movie leaves things open for a sequel. While I had some issues with the movie, I liked it enough that I want to see where this could potentially go as a franchise, and want to see more of these characters.


7 / 10  

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am interested in seeing this movie, but Seth Rogen grates on my nerves and the whole turning it into a religious thing is what ruined "Paul." So, I'm iffy. But good review.

    ReplyDelete