Thursday, March 14, 2019

Captain Marvel

image source

Carol Danvers (played by Brie Larson) is a highly trained, highly skilled warrior. When a mission hunting shapeshifting aliens called Skrulls is botched, she crash-lands on Earth circa 1995. She contacts her mentor (played by Jude Law) and she continues her mission to find the leader of the Skrulls, Talos (played by Ben Mendelsohn). Along the way, she teams up with Nick Fury (played by Samuel L. Jackson) and a cat named Goose. Larson does a legitimately good job as Danvers, and really handles all of her character’s aspects really well. But, if there is one person who really serves as the film’s standout, it’s Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury. Here, Fury is a younger man who hasn’t yet been exposed to superheroes. Larson and Jackson truly have a phenomenal back and forth. The film’s visual effects are pretty damn solid (especially the de-aging effects on Jackson and Clark Gregg as Coulson). The action scenes are pretty good too. Occasionally, I did notice some shaky cam. Yes, the fact that this is something that’s still here bothers me. On the plus, there really isn’t that much of it. I will say that the film doesn’t always mesh tonally—or, at least as well as it could have. A lot of the humor works for me. However, I do have to say that it doesn’t work nearly as well as it has in other Marvel movies. Some of the pacing can drag the movie out a little bit. Granted, it’s never done to a point where it annoys me or really bothers me a lot. The problems I have with the movie never really reach a point where they bother me. But, they do reach a point where I notice them, and have to take note of them. The opinions on this film have probably been the most widely varied out of all of the movies within the MCU. For me, this ranks somewhere in the middle of the films within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There is a lot that works for me, and that I enjoyed. However, there are elements that I think could have been smoothed out a little bit more, and a little bit better. I would only recommend seeing this theaters to hardcore fans. Causal fans can probably wait for video. 

7 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment