Sunday, February 28, 2016

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny

Image Source

 I’ll admit, this is one of those movies that I was interested in, although not particularly anticipating. Instead of Ang Lee, this movie was directed by Yuen Woo-ping, the fight choreographer of the first film and the man who directed movies like Drunken Master. For the most part, I feel he did a decent job with this movie. The martial arts sequences are breathtaking, though they do become a little slapstick-y at points. My biggest problem with the movie is the story and the way it’s paced. I find myself drifting in and out of being interested when I watch the movie. The acting is decent. Michelle Yeoh is fantastic in the movie, showing that her character has progressed. She’s a little older, a little more broken, but ever regal. It helps that she is the movie’s only returning cast member. Jason Scott Lee plays the film’s villain, and he is great, even though I don’t think the character was the most developed and well-written. So, do I think this is a bad movie? No. Do I think it pales in comparison to the first film? Yes. I believe the first film is one of the masterpieces as far as martial arts action films go. Sword of Destiny is far more uneven, and is not necessarily something I would give the highest recommendation to.  


7 / 10         

No comments:

Post a Comment