Friday, May 1, 2015

Top 50 Favorite Movies (30 - 21)

#30: 300: 300 may not be the most story-driven movie ever, but it does offer enough visually to make me love it just that much. The action sequences are fantastic. Gerard Butler delivers one of the best performances he's ever given here. 

#29: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves: I've seen four different versions of the Robin Hood story. By far, my favorite is Prince of Thieves. This movie has the most grand scale and epic feel to it. Couple that with a couple of fantastic supporting performances from Alan Rickman and Morgan Freeman, and as far as I'm concerned, you've got a recipe for greatness.
  
#28: Billy Madison: Billy Madison was a movie that happened at the peak of Adam Sandler's greatness. This is my favorite comedy of all time. No matter what, any time I see it, I laugh. The story was simple but endearing and funny. Best of all, it was before Jack and Jill, so Adam could be funny.
  
#27: The Social Network: Once again, David Fincher makes an appearance on my favorite movies list. This is a movie that gets great performances out of everyone in the cast. Quick question, does anyone else see the irony of casting Justin Timberlake as the founder of Napster?

#26: Saving Private Ryan: Saving Private Ryan was one of those movies I loved from beginning to end. This was a World War II movie that showed the war as very dirty, bloody, and gritty. Nowhere did I find this to be executed best in the opening scene when they stormed the beaches. 
  
#25: Blade II: As much as I liked the first Blade movie, I do find the sequel to be much better. The action is stronger, even if it comes off as a little dated in some parts. Director Guillermo del Toro also blends the action and horror elements excellently, which helps make his addition to the franchise stand out in my opinion. 
  
#24: Toy Story 2: As a fan of Pixar movies, Toy Story 2 really does rank high up there for me. I think it's better than the first for several reasons. By this point in time, I feel Pixar's animation quality had greatly improved. The story felt stronger. It felt like the characters had naturally progressed from the first movie. I really do love this one.

#23: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: It was tough, but I think Last Crusade edges Raiders of the Lost Ark out just a touch for me. It felt like a good conclusion for a trilogy by showing some of Indy's backstory you didn't get yet. But, most importantly, this is the one with Sean Connery. The back and forth and the chemistry between them had a real father-son feel to it, despite how close the two really are in age. 
  
#22: Guardians of the Galaxy: I know this a very recent movie, but it captured the feel of the old school Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies I was raised on. I love everything about this movie from the characters to the soundtrack. 


#21: Jurassic Park: What do I love about this movie? The T. Rex. Jeff Goldblum. Samuel L. Jackson. The theme by John Williams. The really tense build-up scenes (especially with the raptors in the kitchen). Steven Spielberg's direction. That should just about say all of it. 

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff on this list! I totally agree with you about Jurassic Park - those elements you listed are the best. SLJ is the shit in that movie and it has so much action with just a hint of comic relief, which is great.
    It's hard for me to say - I think Raiders is a superior movie to Crusade, BUT...I prefer The Last Crusade because it was the first Indy movie I sat all the way through and got really emotionally involved in, so I have a soft spot in my heart for that one.
    Prince of Thieves, I agree, is my favorite incarnation of the Robin Hood story so far - Alan Rickman!!! And I do like Billy Madison a lot, but I think Happy Gilmore edges in front. :) Good list.

    ReplyDelete