Friday, October 25, 2019

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

image source

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers is the final part of what Halloween fans dub the thorn trilogy. The film kind of takes what Halloween 5 sets up and doubles down on it, for better or worse. The film follows Tommy Doyle (played by Paul Rudd in his first film role) as he teams up with a young single mother, Kara Strode (played by Marianne Hagan) and doctor Sam Loomis (Donald Pleasance in his final film role) to put a stop to Michael Myers. Starting things off with the positives, Donald Pleasance once again proves to be the best thing about the film as a whole. Some of the kills can be creatively fun (one involving a fuse box truly stands out to me). George P. Wilbur is the first actor to play Michael Myers more than once, and he adds some solid brutality to Michael Myers as a character that I like. Then there’s everything else. While I like Paul Rudd fine enough as an actor, he’s honestly pretty bad in this movie. Some of the editing in this film is pretty bad, and there are moments that are honestly pretty difficult to make out. I also don’t like the direction they take the Jamie Lloyd character. Part of the problem for me is that she’s played by a completely different actress. J.C. Brandy is fine enough, but she doesn’t hold a candle to Danielle Harris. You can also see on screen that the producers, writers, and director all seemed to have very different ideas, making the final result a bit of a mess. Overall, my final thoughts on The Curse of Michael Myers feel very similar to my thoughts on Halloween 5. I don’t really have strong enough feelings to like it, but I don’t have strong enough feelings to truly hate it either. It’s mostly just kind of generic. I recognize that this is a bad movie, but I wish it was a little more entertainingly bad on the whole.

4 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment