Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Scooby-Doo

image source
Scooby-Doo is based off of the popular cartoon series from the 1960s. A year after Mystery, Inc. breaks up, they are lured to a horror-themed island resort by the park's eccentric owner (played by Rowan Atkinson) in order to solve a mystery that involves guests going missing. Before too long, they learn that the mystery goes deeper, and there may be more nefarious purposes than they were initially led to believe. OK, looking at this film from a critical standpoint, it's not very good. But, it really could have been. The movie is written by James Gunn, and the writing is really where you get a lot of the most clever stuff, most notably the reveal of the villain. In case you haven't seen the movie, I won't give it away. I also think the cast has genuinely good chemistry with one another. Matthew Lillard and Linda Cardellini are pitch perfect as Shaggy and Velma respectively. While I do think Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar work off each other and their other co-stars well, they are hard to buy as Fred and Daphne. I don't feel like I'm watching Fred and Daphne, so much as I'm watching Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar. But, there are two areas in this film that are genuinely bad. The CGI is awful. The film is also pretty poorly directed. The movie is directed by Raja Gosnell. Trust me when I say, the Scooby-Doo movies are his best movies. While I can't call this a good movie, I can at least admit that I enjoy it.

7 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment