Saturday, October 26, 2019

Halloween: Resurrection

image source
There's a scene in this movie where Busta Rhymes yells at Michael Myers. At first glance, you assume that Michael is going to kill him. Instead, he turns around and walks away. I am bringing this scene up right now because it is probably the only part of the movie I genuinely enjoy. Halloween: Resurrection is one of the most popular picks from fans for least favorite Halloween film, and for good reason. This is the first movie in this franchise that I actively hate. Let's start with something I touched on a little bit in my review for H20 - that movie's ending. If this movie didn't exist, I would have no complaints with it. The fact that Resurrection does exist makes the ending to H20 feel cheapened, like it doesn't matter. They bring Jamie Lee Curtis back for this film, and kill her off in the first ten minutes. The problem is, I don't feel like this movie earns her death, at all. On top of that, I feel like Jamie Curtis just didn't want to be in this movie at all. The new characters that we are introduced to after this suck. I would have actually been a little more ok with it if they brought Josh Hartnett and Michelle Williams back, but they don't. We have an all new cast of thinly written dead bodies that I couldn't care less about. The acting is pretty poor all-around. Perhaps the worst example of this is Busta Rhymes. I actually enjoy his music, but this movie seems to want to prove that he CANNOT act. The ending is almost laughably bad. Michael Myers, an icon of horror, is defeated by Busta Rhymes doing kung fu. Oh, that's not a joke either. Overall, Halloween: Resurrection only seems to exist because the franchise, and the Michael Myers character make money. This movie is a lazy piece of shit that's only a thing because of money. There is one other movie in this franchise I hate (we'll get to that later). I think I hate this one more because there just seemed to be this attitude of "eh, let's make a Michael Myers movie just because."

1 / 10    

1 comment: