Friday, October 25, 2019

Halloween H20

image source
Twenty years have passed since the events of Halloween and Halloween II. Laurie Strode (played by Jamie Lee Curtis) has since faked her death and now lives in California under an alias, alongside her teenage son, John (played by Josh Hartnett). John makes Halloween plans with his friends and his  girlfriend Molly (played by Michelle Williams). Before too long, Michael Myers resurfaces after a long hibernation to wreak bloody havoc once again. The first thing to take note of is that this film actually ignores everything that happened after Halloween II, and that's something that honestly works in H20's favor. You see just how haunted Laurie Strode is, and you understand why she acts the she does. You also kind of understand John's perspective too. Until now, he hasn't had to deal with Michael Myers. In his eyes, Michael is dead. While the characters aren't super deep, you at least like most of them. The actors pretty much all do decent jobs with their roles. These aren't necessarily the best performances by these actors, but they serve the film well. The ending is something I have mixed feelings about. I do genuinely like it, but it's something I'll talk more about when I talk about Resurrection. The kills are pretty tame. They aren't awful, but they don't really do much to stand out to me. Most of the film's meta humor and dialogue works for me. However, every now and then, you do get a joke that doesn't land. A nitpicky complaint I've brought up with some of the past movies is when I don't particularly like Michael's mask. Well, there's a scene in this movie where the mask is CGI. 
image source
It looks genuinely bad. On top of that, I kind of feel like it's pointless. It was added during re-shoots to replace the mask that had already used, and apparently the scene couldn't be re-shot. So, I have to ask, was it worth it? Overall, I quite enjoy Halloween H20 as one of my personal favorites of the franchise. It's not a perfect movie by any means, but it is one of the films I have the most fun with. 

8 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment