Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Zombieland

image source
Zombieland follows a small group of survivors that come together to form an unlikely family in the wake of the zombie apocalypse. I knew this was a film I was going to have to talk about at some point, because it is a personal favorite of mine. The characters all have legitimate heart and depth to them. You understand where each of them is coming from. The actors all work off each other incredibly well. The film is the directorial debut for Ruben Fleischer (who would go on to direct Venom). The film is also written by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (who would both go on to write the two Deadpool movies). This is a combination that works incredibly well. For one thing, the film is unbelievably quotable. I am happy to say that Zombieland still holds up after ten years. This movie is a ton of gory fun. It doesn't have a ton in the way of plot, but I don't think a ton of plot is needed for this movie. I want to be with these characters because they are likable characters played by talented actors. I also have to appreciate the film's visual style. It actually feels unique to this movie. There's almost a meta tone to it (almost in the same vein as movies like Scream before it, or Tucker and Dale vs. Evil after it). I don't know if I can quite go that far, but I feel like Zombieland knows what it is, and runs with it. If you somehow still haven't seen it after all these years, and this review managed to sell you on seeing it, then do it. I adore this film, and I am so glad that it still holds up for me.

10 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment