Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Wishmaster

image source
An appraiser played by Tammy Lauren accidentally unleashes an evil djinn that has been trapped inside a gem stone for centuries. I feel like this film is a treasure trove for horror fans. The movie includes cameos from the likes of Kane Hodder, Robert Englund, and Tony Todd. I love the film's practical effects, especially when it comes to the film's gore. Andrew Divoff really shines as the villainous djinn in this movie to me. Every single time he's onscreen, he's just having the time of his life. I also think it's creative to have the antagonist be an evil genie that twists words when someone makes a wish. One thing I will say is that I think the term "guilty pleasure" really applies to this film. I really enjoyed it, especially the aspects I just mentioned. However, the film has a lot of problems. For example, some of the dated CGI looks pretty rough. As much as I love the performances by Divoff, Englund, Todd, and Hodder, Tammy Lauren in the lead is pretty bad. A lot of her delivery feels very stiff. Overall, Wishmaster comes off as an entertainingly bad, cheesy film that seems to know exactly what it is and relishes in what it is. I recommend this film to fans of bad horror movies that just want something to laugh at, and be entertained by.

6 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment