Sunday, October 4, 2015

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

Image Source
Trick ‘r Treat may just be the most original horror film I have ever seen. There isn’t one flowing narrative, so much as there are four or five. Yet, when you watch the movie unfold, you realize just how well all these narratives flow together to make one unforgettable Halloween night. The film is very well-acted. The film always manages to keep you on the edge of your seat, wondering what will happen next. It doesn’t hurt that are plenty of twists and turns you never see coming, but somehow manage to make sense in the end. I am not someone who scares easily. In fact, I rarely get scared when I watch a horror movie. So, ask yourself what it means when I personally say that this movie genuinely creeped me out. Most of the scares in the film come through a building tension and suspense, with these scares actually paying off in the end. The film rarely relies on jump scares, though when a jump scare does come up, it actually fits with the movie.  Dylan Baker is amazing, giving off a slightly funny, mostly disturbing performance. The best character in this bizarre, messed up film is the character of Sam. Anyone who wants to know who Sam is, I’m not going to spoil that. The movie gives off the essence of the Halloween holiday, and that’s really all it needs to do.  


10 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment