Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Dunkirk

image source
Dunkirk is directed by Christopher Nolan and features an ensemble cast that includes Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Cillian Murphy, and Kenneth Branagh, This is a movie that just kind of throws you right into the actual event, which is an intriguing way to go about things. The character development feels pretty thin for the most part. Admittedly, I don’t think this was necessarily important to the movie because the event seemed like the most essential element of the movie more than anything. Most of the character development that actually seemed to be there was involved in the scenes with Mark Rylance and Cillian Murphy. You understand Rylance’s character, a man who isn’t officially part of the military, but is still willing to do what he can to help. You also under Murphy’s character, a man who is traumatized by the events of the war, even if you never actually see exactly what he saw. Because of this, these two stood out to me among a cast that was great all around. Christopher Nolan’s direction is phenomenal, as should be expected. Nowhere is this more evident than in the battle scenes (especially the dogfights). There’s a genuine level of grit and intensity to them. This movie is under two hours, and I think that is the perfect length for this movie. This is due to what they wanted to accomplish with this movie. The pacing didn’t always work for me. There were times where I legitimately felt that it dragged, and moments where I was starting to feel antsy. That could be because there were only two characters who truly felt developed to me, and two characters were only I felt fully invested in. In my opinion, the opening and the climax are fantastic, and they serve as perfect bookends for this movie. Do I think Dunkirk is the masterpiece it’s been built up to be? No. Do I think this movie ranks among Christopher Nolan’s best work? No. Is this movie flawed? Yes. Is this a good movie that is still worth a rent? Yes.


7 / 10       

No comments:

Post a Comment