Friday, December 29, 2017

Top 15 Best Movies of 2017

At this point, I have seen everything I think I can possibly see this year. There are movies that aren't going to be on my list like War for the Planet of the Apes, Coco, The Shape of Water, All the Money in the World, Molly's Game, and Blade Runner 2049 that aren't on my list because I just didn't get to see them. These are the movies I did see and loved this year. I watched a lot of good movies this year, and couldn't quite whittle it down to a top 10.

Honorable Mentions:

Happy Death Day, John Wick: Chapter 2, Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2, Little Evil

#15: Star Wars: The Last Jedi: This is one of those movies that has really split the fan base. I think there some problems and flaws, but they were very minor for me. The overall experience I had was something that progressed the characters who needed to be progressed. I like that this movie took more chances than The Force Awakens, and because of that, I think I enjoyed this one more.

image source









#14: Free Fire: Free Fire truly felt like an early 90s Scorsese or Tarantino movie. It was fairly small scale, and dealt with the two groups stuck in a shootout in a warehouse for the whole movie, and had something of a jazz flair to it that I really liked.

image source











#13: Wonder Woman: Wonder Woman took a very different approach to the DCEU. It was set in a different time period, and didn't worry about trying to set up Justice League or any of the other ten movies yet to come in this universe. It told a story about a hero and her journey, and did it really well.

image source













#12: Lady Bird: I thought Lady Bird was a great coming-of-age, time capsule sort of movie. The performances were really strong all-around. I have it pretty low on the list for myself just because I don't see it having a lot of replay value for me personally.

image source












#11: Spider-Man: Homecoming: In my opinion, this is the best Spider-Man movie Spider-Man 2. It felt like a superhero movie told through a John Hughes lens. As far as I'm concerned, Tom Holland is the first actor I truly felt encompassed both Peter Parker and Spider-Man. This also the movie I think truly began to break the MCU movie villains curse. Michael Keaton as the Vulture was somebody you really understood and sympathized with.

image source










#10: The Lego Batman Movie: I feel like I missed out on a lot of the animated movies this year. Fortunately, this wasn't one of them. This movie truly understood the relationship between Batman and the Joker. It was funny, but had a lot of depth to it, and proved that good satire isn't dead yet.

image source

      










#9: It: It is the most recent movie I reviewed, and already I knew it deserved a spot on my best of the year list. The movie had some genuinely good creepy moments, but it didn't solely rely on them. The movie remembered to actually have characters you understood and related to. It also made you feel Pennywise's presence, even when he wasn't onscreen.

image source












#8: Thor: Ragnarok: Taika Waititi truly put his stamp on the Marvel Cinematic Universe with a movie that easily blows the other two Thor films out of the water. The movie had yet another fantastic Marvel villain in Hela, whose motivations were really easy to understand. This is a movie that laced a lot of its comedic elements with heart, but also knew when and where to pump you up for the ride you're going to go on.

image source












#7: Split: Split makes me happiest because it gave us a really good M. Night Shyamalan movie for the first time in over a decade. It is a movie that has genuine suspense and is carried by two excellent lead performances by James McAvoy and Anya Taylor-Joy. The twist ending is also amazing, and isn't something you'd ever really be able to see coming.

image source












#6: Get Out: I am amazed that a man who is only really known for comedy can make his directorial debut with a phenomenal horror-suspense film. This is a movie that tackles the idea of racism in America in an incredibly unique and subversive way. The acting, writing, and directing all make this a movie worth talking about.

image source












#5: Wind River: This is an incredibly heavy movie with the best acting I think I have ever seen from Jeremy Renner. It is a story that is based on true accounts, and actually can be eye-opening for a story you may not have known about.

image source












#4: Logan: Logan was the perfect send-off for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, but it still leaves the potential for more stories to still be told. It's a comic book movie that doesn't feel like a comic book movie. There's actually a sense of heartbreak to Logan, and sense of realism you might not have expected from a movie like this.

image source












#3: The Disaster Artist: I am a fan of the movie The Room, and this is one of those movies I was excited about from the minute I heard it was happening. From both an acting and directing standpoint, James Franco owns this movie, and gives one of the best performances of his career. The Disaster Artist is a movie that truly is about the American dream, and does in a very unique way.

image source













#2: Baby Driver: Baby Driver is the most recent movie from Edgar Wright. This is stylish adrenaline rush backed up by an awesome soundtrack.

image source













#1: I, Tonya: I honestly don't know a ton about Tonya Harding beyond the incident. This was a movie that showed that maybe Tonya Harding wasn't a monster, but was a human being. I don't know how much of this was based in fact, and how much of it was based in fiction. I just know I saw a movie with a great story and fantastic lead performance from Margot Robbie.

image source



No comments:

Post a Comment