Monday, December 25, 2017

The Snowman

I’m not gonna lie. When I saw the trailers for The Snowman, I was ready to see the next Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. This wasn’t quite that movie. The concept was really good. It deals with two detectives (played by Michael Fassbender and Rebecca Ferguson) hunting a serial killer who tends to strike during the winter. In the end, I didn’t find the mystery that engaging. This is the worst sin that a murder-mystery movie can possibly commitThey introduce a character and you know right away he’s just the red herring. The identity of the killer feels just as obvious. It honestly becomes more and more clear as the movie goes on, so when the reveal actually is made, it doesn’t come as that much of a surprise. Some of the performances are pretty good. Rebecca Ferguson is easily the standout. She probably the most consistently strong performance, and the greatest range of emotion. I also liked the performances by Michael Fassbender and J.K. Simmons. There were points where I kind of felt like they were sleepwalking. Val Kilmer in this movie sticks out like a sore thumb. Thankfully, he wasn’t in the movie for very long. When he first showed up, my thought was that, unfortunately, he did not look good. When he talked, it was painfully obvious he was dubbed over. The Snowman is one of those movies that feels like should have been tailor made for me, but just couldn’t live up to its immense potential.


4 / 10    

No comments:

Post a Comment