Thursday, December 14, 2017

Mayhem

image source
Derek Cho (played by Steven Yeun) is a low ranking worker at a major law firm on the verge of being fired because he got screwed over. Melanie Cross (played by Samara Weaving) is a woman trying to avoid being evicted by any means necessary. A virus is let loose throughout the building, leaving the two to fight through a bloody mayhem-filled mess. A lot of the movie felt out of sync when I watched it, but I think that could have just as easily been because I watched it on the Internet. The violence is incredibly fun and over the top (and yes, I know that probably sounds bad). The two leads are awesome. Steven Yeun (Glenn from The Walking Dead) plays the main character, and goes from a timid guy who is easily stepped on to someone who just seems to snap. This movie could easily have no character development whatsoever, but it actually is there. One of my favorite pieces of dialogue is between the two main characters. Melanie is a giant metal-head with a love for the likes of early Anthrax. Derek is more of Dave Matthews Band kind of guy. The two legitimately have an argument about it. It’s just a small piece of character in between all of the carnage and it works really well. I will admit the development doesn’t really extend much past the two main heroes. I like that both of them are given moments right when we meet them that make them immediately likable. If I were to find a way to describe this movie, I would say it’s like The Raid meets Office Space. If any of what I said makes it sound interesting, then I absolutely recommend checking this out when and if you can.


8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment