Sunday, December 20, 2015

Get Hard

Image Source
Get Hard centers on a businessman (Will Ferrell) who is arrested for fraud and embezzlement. He asks for help to “get hard” before he goes to prison from the guy who has watched his car (Kevin Hart) because…misunderstandings, lies, shenanigans, etc. you know know the drill. Yeah, even 20 minutes I could tell I had seen this story play out. Based on the fact that I like Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart, I thought I might like this movie, even if the movie was going to be a touch formulaic. However, at a point, I realized that there was only so much I could take of the racist and homophobic jokes. I wanted to like this movie. I really did. Unfortunately, the movie just wasn’t all that funny. Will Ferrell and Kevin actually do have decent chemistry, but that’s only because they are talented comedians stuck in a bad movie. There were some jokes that got me to laugh here and there, but they were so few, that most of the time, I was just left in a state of discomfort. I think the writing is where the movie suffers the most. 9 times out of 10, the jokes don’t work. Half of the characters are unlikable stereotypes. The other half are just stereotypes. In comedy, writing often should be the strongest aspect of the movie. Because it is so weak here, the whole movie suffers for it. 


3 / 10      

No comments:

Post a Comment