Friday, December 4, 2015

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

Image Source
I wanted to like the final Hunger Games a lot more than I did. Now, don't get me wrong. This isn't me saying I didn't like the movie. I did. It's just that I thought that some of the flaws were a bit more noticeable here. First off, I wasn't a big fan of the way the movie was paced. I honestly thought some of the moments where the movie kind of started to drag could've been tightened up. I honestly think the movie was about ten or fifteen minutes too long. The other thing I wish could've been handled better was the movie's tone. At points it felt like the movie was trying a little too hard to be a romantic drama film. At other points, it felt like they were aiming for a suspenseful action thriller. Personally, these were the moments I enjoyed more. There was a sewer sequence that was probably my personal favorite. The suspense was really well built up, and the payoff was pretty damn good. It felt like something out of one of the first two Alien movies, it was that good. I also really have to give props to the actors in the movie too. Seeing as this is the fourth movie in a franchise, it's possible at this point for the cast to just start phoning it in. None of them do. They all have a pretty solid emotional backbone to their performances. However, I do wish some of the supporting players got a little more to do. I can understand why the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman's role was so small, but I really would've liked to have seen a little more from Jena Malone, Donald Sutherland, and Woody Harrelson. So, yeah, I thought this movie was "good", but I really wanted to be able to say I thought it was "great".

7 / 10   

No comments:

Post a Comment