Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Dracula (1931)

Image Source
Dracula is the first of its kind. This was the movie that started the Universal movie monsters craze that swept the 30s and 40s. I want to say I do like this movie quite a bit, though not as much as Frankenstein. The reasoning behind that is simple. The Frankenstein movie took a lot of liberties from a source material I didn’t like very much. Dracula took a great deal of liberties from a source material I absolutely loved. The most memorable and entertaining aspect of this movie for me was Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula. This did lead to a similar problem that I had with Frankenstein. The rest of the cast wasn’t very memorable, and lacked the charm and charisma that Lugosi maintained through the entire movie. I remember pieces of scenes here and there, but never full scenes. I understand that this is a horror classic, but, for me, I like the book better. Again, keep in mind, I don’t think it’s a bad movie at all. I think it’s good enough that I could find something in the movie to enjoy. I appreciate what it started, but I can’t count it among my favorite horror films.   


8 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment